Monday, July 13, 2009

SF Chinatown

I love Chinatown in San Francisco! I have to restrain myself from buying random things I don't need, like Buddha sculptures carved out of "jade" and those crazy firecracker things you throw on the ground. Something I love, and I know everyone does, is the amazing architectural details you can find in San Francisco. There are so many different styles blending together and it all seems to fit seamlessly. One thing I love about Chinatown are the details up and down the street. Like the street signs being written in English and Chinese, the lamp posts are decorated, and even the level of detail and relief on the design of the Chinatown gate. It's details like that which make San Francisco special and Chinatown is no exception. My favorite thing about Chinatown is the Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Factory. I remember being a little girl and walking through Chinatown with my dad and walking down this creepy alley (Ross Alley). I was so scared but then I could smell the aroma of fresh fortune cookies. I walked in and the owner handed me a warm cookie, but it was flat. I thought that was so strange...there was no fortune. Well I have come to love those flat cookies and crave them regularly (I brought back 6 bags with me...don't judge!) They bag and sell the flat cookies, they are the ones that cool too quickly before they can be folded, and they are just as tasty, minus the fortune.



Chinatown Gate



Detail on the Chinatown Gate



Lanterns!



Folding Fortune Cookies...yumm....



The operation at the Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Factory

3 comments:

Laura said...

Oh you're making me long for my hometown! Love New York's Chinatown but nothing compares to the one in SF...

Niki said...

I agree, it's a totally different vibe in SF. I could hang out down there all day!

Personal Blog said...

Very creaative post